The following is a list of questions and answers to the most common concerns. If your question is not listed or you require additional clarification to an answer, please contact our Billing/Scheduling Office during normal business hours.

Q. Will my Insurance carrier cover transportation costs?
A. Insurance plans may cover medically necessary transportation depending on your specific insurance carrier's guidelines and policies. Your insurance carrier will also determine whether or not transportation is justified as medically necessary according to their specific criteria. It is important to check with your insurance provider to understand and comply with all requirements for authorization and qualification for transportation.

Q. Will PRN bill my Insurance carrier directly?
A. Yes. PRN will bill your insurance carrier directly but may require co-pays, deductibles, and/or non-covered service payments at the time of transport. PRN does accept personal checks and Visa/Mastercard payments for your convenience. You will be notified before the transportation is scheduled if a payment will be expected at the time of transport.

Q. What does Medicare cover?
A. In general, Medicare will cover medically necessary emergency ambulance transportation to the nearest appropriate medical facility. Emergency ambulance transportation may qualify for Medicare coverage if the transport is a result of a sudden onset of a medical condition manifesting itself by acute symptoms of sufficient severity such that the absence of immediate medical attention could reasonably be expected to result in placing the patient's health in serious jeopardy, impairment to bodily function, or serious dysfunction to any bodily organ or part. Medicare requires that ambulance transportation be medically necessary and reasonable. To be medically necessary, Medicare requires that the use of any other method of transportation would be hazardous to the patient's health, whether or not any other methods of transportation are available. To be reasonable, for example, Medicare requires the patient to be transported to the nearest appropriate facility for treatment.

Certain medically necessary non-emergency ambulance transports are covered by Medicare; however wheelchair transportation is not a covered benefit under the Medicare program. Qualifying non emergency ambulance transportation will require a medical necessity form to be filled out and signed by your physician stating the specific reason(s) ambulance transportation is necessary and that transportation by any other means would pose a hazard to the patient's health.

If Medicare approves the charges, they will pay 80% of the allowable rate. The remaining 20% will be your responsibility if there is no payment made from a secondary insurance source.

Q. What does Medicaid cover?
A. Generally, Medicaid will cover medically necessary transportation services for qualifying individuals. However, like all insurance carriers, there are different policies that have different requirements so it is recommended you check with your Medicaid program to better understand coverage for transportation services. Most Medicaid programs will not cover transportation for the convenience of the patient and/or family and will only cover transportation for medical appointments

Q. How does PRN determine fees and rates?
A. Transportation costs typically include base rate charges, mileage fees and charges for any additional services or supplies (e.g. extra attendant, oxygen). We will provide you with a total cost before the transportation occurs upon request. We will also provide you with an itemized statement of these charges. Our current rates are determined by many factors such as the cost of providing the service and other economic forces. Our current rates are available by contacting our office.